Avon Graphics brings Mimaki Quality to the Trade
- “Quality is everything for us,” Tate says. “It’s what our clients expect from us and we simply have to deliver. That’s why we don’t rush into new technologies – we have to be sure that it will deliver the best results for our clients, in the turnaround times they need and at a price that represents real value for them – particular as they are ‘on-selling’ our service to their clients.
- “We had been searching for some time for a solution which would allow us to produce sign, display and other wide-format print services, but with many of our clients involved in high-end markets like fashion and retail, we had simply been unable to find a solution that met their quality requirements – that is, until we saw Mimaki’s new inkjet heads a couple of years ago.”
- Following this discovery and further discussions with Mimaki and its Australian sales agent, Spicers Sign & Display, Avon invested in its first JFX500-2131, which features Mimaki’s newly developed print heads with variable ink drop size, advanced head control for precise, high-resolution images, and cold-cure UV LED technology, which allows the machine to produce this outstanding print quality on a very wide range of media at speeds of up to 60m2/h.
Mimaki LED UV Print Quality
“Mimaki printers produce as close to offset quality as I’ve ever seen on an inkjet machine, and our customers were immediately delighted with the samples we showed them,” Tate says. “Since then, that quality together with the broad range of products we have been able to offer – which to date has included everything from sign and display, to POP and posters up to A1 in size, polypropylene diary covers and even short runs of ganged-up business cards – has seen this division of our business grow exponentially.”
“We operate in a true ‘on demand’ environment"
“It seems like a lot of printers to have running together,” Tate acknowledges , “but the multiple installation base allows us the kind of flexibility we need to cater for virtually anything our clients require.
“We operate in a true ‘on demand’ environment, where it’s common to get a last-minute call for a job that’s needed ‘yesterday’ – or even to see a truck pull up with a job we’re not expecting at all. With our set-up here, we can run five different jobs, or have all machines running the same job to meet a quick turnaround – and, should we need to respond to an urgent request during a production run, we can swap one printer to the rush job and still have 80% of our production working on the longer job.”
“We have always been driven very much by the demands of our customers – if they have overflow work they can’t handle in house due to the substrate or the size, for instance, we find a way to fill that gap in their production capacity,” Tate explains.
“With these Mimaki printers, our digital cutting equipment and our on-site stock holdings, we can get back to the market really quickly and provide them with a terrific range of services.”
Speed without sacrificing print quality is paramount
Extending that flexibility are five Mimaki JV300-160 eco-solvent roll-fed printers – a machine Mimaki rates as providing a ‘new global standard’ for print excellence and speed on flexible media – and a TS300P-1800 dye sublimation paper transfer printer which offers similarly outstanding quality, productivity and cost-effectiveness on fabric and textiles.
Avon Graphics has built an enviable reputation as one of the country’s leading trade finishing and embellishment houses by taking an absolutely uncompromising stance on quality. Over the past couple of years, the company has expanded its services to include wide-format digital print, partnering with Mimaki to bring outstanding quality to the market.
“Avon is a strictly ‘trade only’ supplier, and our business is built on helping printers meet their customers’ demands, add value to the print they produce and cope with on-off or overflow work,” Tate explains, adding that both equipment and craft play their part in meeting the exacting standards required by some of the country’s leading print service providers.
Over the years, this has led to the development of an almost impossibly wide range of services, from traditional embellishment like foil stamping, embossing and debossing, to laser and forme cutting, flexo, UV and silk screen varnish and coatings, encapsulation and lamination, holographic and security options, ‘scratchie’ coatings and ‘scratch-and-sniff’ fragrances, and even old-fashioned verkotype and glitter application. Rounding out its trade services, a dedicated workshop provides engraving, die-making and flexographic plate production.
- NameAvon Graphics
- IndustryAvon Graphics is recognised as Australia's leading specialist print trade supplier and embellishment company employing over 80 staff.
- Address34 Kingsley Close Rowville Victoria 3178, Australia
- Phone number+61-3-9764-1445